Handyman Services Singapore 2022
When it comes to home maintenance in Singapore, we would need to have something repaired or installed at some point. Most of the problems that occur at home, such as a leaky faucet or a broken light switch, can be a quick and simple fix, but not for those who don’t have the skills or time to do so. This is where handyman services in Singapore come in.
Broadly speaking, a handyman is a person who can handle minor, general repairs that don’t require any special licence to perform. A handyman is usually called on to do maintenance work and home improvement. You can also rely on handyman services in Singapore to do maintenance and improvement work for offices.
Handyman services in Singapore range from carpentry and painting to electrical works and plumbing. Here’s a list of the most common services offered by handymen.
- Shower set installation
- Replacing syphons for toilet bowls
- Installing toilet bowls
- Replacing water heaters
- Power socket installation
- Installation of light fixtures
- Replacing sockets
- Interior and exterior painting
- Furniture painting
- Water pipe replacement
- Water basin installation
- Faucet repair or replacement
- Installing kitchen/gas range hoods
- Installing kitchen accessories
- Autogate system servicing
- New gate installation
- Autogate motor replacement
- Furniture assembly
- Installing shelves
- Replacing window and door trims
- Drywall repair
- Fixing door knobs
- Replacing doors
- Replacing locks
- Installing TV brackets
- Mounting mirrors and paintings
- General home and garden maintenance
It can be a challenge to keep your home or office in good condition if you are working and taking care of your family. This is why a lot of people end up living with issues such as a squeaky gate or a toilet that won’t flush properly. This shouldn’t be the case–when you’re working hard, you deserve to not have these problems at all!
This is why you should consider getting the services of a handyman who can see to those minor repairs. Here’s what you can gain when you hire a handyman in Singapore:
- You can focus on your family and your work
- You won’t have to worry about busted pipes and power sockets
- Handyman services can also help you spot potential problems so you can do preventive measures
- Your home or office will always be in good working order
- You can be sure that the repair and maintenance work is done by skilled professionals
- You save money in the long run because you are able to avoid major repairs
- You don’t risk getting accidentally injured or damaging your property when you attempt to do the repairs or installations yourself
As you can see, with a handyman service, you don’t have to worry about the whats and hows of home improvement and repair. You can simply call in the pros to do the job for you–after all, it’s what they’re trained for!
If you’re wondering about the costs of hiring a handyman in Singapore, you should know that the rates will depend on the kind of service you need. Some handyman jobs in Singapore have fixed rates while others have hourly rates. In general, these are the factors that affect handyman costs in Singapore:
- Job needed to be done
- Cost of materials or parts that need to be bought
- Experience and expertise of handyman
- Schedule (emergency repairs or rush jobs can cost more)
To give you an idea of handyman service costs, here’s a list of some of the most common services and average prices per job.
|Handyman Services in Singapore||Prices|
|Replacing leaking pipes||Starts from $80|
|Installation of TV brackets||$80|
|Assembling tables or chairs||$60|
|Installation or replacement of instant water heater||$100|
|Room painting for three rooms (HDB home)||$1280|
|Installation or replacement of shower sets||$80|
|Installation of ceiling fan||$150|
The most common handyman jobs can be accomplished within an hour. The length of time would vary depending on the task or set of tasks you need to get done.
You can find a good local handyman in Singapore in a number of ways. Some independent handymen offer their services on online platforms such as forums and message boards, online classifieds, and social media. Others get referrals via word of mouth–if you like the paint job done on your neighbour’s house, you most likely will ask them for the painter’s contact details and ask about their rates.
You can also find ads for handyman services on community bulletin boards–this is quite common if you live in a condo building. With these options however, you may not be sure about the handyman’s abilities to get a specific job done, and it might take you a while to find the right person for the task.
To save time and effort in locating a good handyman in Singapore, you can go for a handyman service provider such as Handyman Services Singapore. This father-and-son business provides a wide variety of services at reasonable rates. Transport charges are included and they can go to wherever you are on the island. Just contact them to tell them of your concerns and schedule an appointment.
How do you know if the handyman you are hiring is someone you can trust to get the job done? Here are the characteristics of a good handyman service.
- Honest – First and foremost, you’ll want a handyman who can admit what they can or cannot do. A handyman who claims to be able to do something and ends up doing damage can cause you a lot of headaches. A good handyman will also point you in the right direction and recommend someone else for the job.
- Provides a guarantee – Good handyman services not only swear by the quality of their work but more importantly, provide a guarantee. If the same problem comes up, the handyman is responsible for fixing it without you having to pay extra.
- Offers insurance – Hiring a local handyman service provider that has a damage liability policy is a plus because it would ensure that any damage done on your property is covered.
- Does not ask for payment in advance – A good handyman would never ask you to pay for a service upfront. They will wait after the job is completed and you are satisfied with the work before you are billed for their services.
- Provides a number of payment options – Established handyman service providers offer clients a number of payment methods. You’ll be able to pay in cash, credit card, cheque, or mobile wallet, whichever is the most convenient for you.
There are handymen, and there are contractors for different types of projects. What is the difference between the two?
As discussed previously, a handyman is someone who can perform various general or basic tasks around the house. A handyman has a set of skills that are sufficient for addressing common maintenance and repair work. On the other hand, a contractor would usually specialise in a particular trade and have a licence for a specific skill.
To know which one you need to hire, you first have to define the job. The size and scope of the job will dictate the type of service you need. Generally, small or minor repair jobs can be handled by a handyman, while a larger project that requires a more specialised skill set would require a contractor.
For instance, replacing switch socket outlets can be easily done by a handyman, but if you need your entire home rewired, it’s recommended to hire a licensed electrical contractor.
Because of the size and scope of the job and the expertise needed, contractors charge more than handymen.
Now that you have an idea of the kind of work that handymen do and the costs, you need to plan and set aside a budget. Here’s what you need to consider when computing how much you’ll need:
- Extent of work – is the job a simple one that can be accomplished within an hour or two, or would it require several days of work?
- Number of projects – most handyman tasks can be done within an hour. If there are multiple tasks, you need to consider the additional costs as well as the time spent (if there is an hourly rate).
- Specialisation – handyman can do general home improvement, repair, and maintenance work, but if there is a project that would need greater expertise, you need to be prepared to hire a licensed contractor (and pay more).
- Materials and parts – the handyman or contractor will tell you if there are parts to be replaced or materials to be bought. Anticipate these purchases and check prices online to see how much you need to set aside.
We hope this helps you get all the information you need about handyman services in Singapore. Remember, if you’re doubtful of your DIY repair skills, don’t risk it–get a handyman to do it!